Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12-08-2018, 08:22 PM
Frogger's Avatar
Frogger Frogger is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 479
Frogger is on a distinguished road
Default

Looks like a nice clean setup. Good luck, keep us posted
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-09-2018, 07:22 PM
Synthesis Synthesis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Abbotsford -BC
Posts: 56
Synthesis is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
Looks like a nice clean setup. Good luck, keep us posted
Thanks! Will do. Will probably be asking for plenty of advise in the coming weeks 😊
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Synthesis Synthesis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Abbotsford -BC
Posts: 56
Synthesis is on a distinguished road
Default

With the wind storm coming to Vancouver, it has me looking at battery backup for the Tank. What does everyone use for their power backup?

I have been looking at some of those APC battery backup units that are often used for computers and electronics. Vortech has one for their mp units but it's pretty darn expensive and only provides power to the mp.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-14-2018, 05:45 PM
kyl kyl is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 170
kyl is on a distinguished road
Default

Most APC / UPS back ups of that type will only run equipment for a few hours due to a low amp hour battery. The difference with the ecotech units etc is they are strictly a 12v DC draw from the battery, while your UPS is going DC > AC > DC (pump transformer > Pump, and there is an "overhead" for that process to take place.

If you want to emulate the ecotech example, it's extremely simple to DIY with a 12/24v deep cycle battery and a float charger. There are numerous examples on other forums, just google "diy ecotech battery backup". The only thing special about the Ecotech release is the mark up they're able to charge for a couple SLA batteries and a float charger.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-14-2018, 06:03 PM
Frogger's Avatar
Frogger Frogger is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 479
Frogger is on a distinguished road
Default

Costco sells a Lithium Ion Goal Zero battery backup. I have one and have tested it it will run a 10 to 20 watt pump for over half a day.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 12-14-2018, 06:09 PM
Frogger's Avatar
Frogger Frogger is online now
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 479
Frogger is on a distinguished road
Default

The other great option is an inverter and an AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery, or scooter battery. Scooter batteries are cheap and designed exactly for this kind of use.

Computer battery backups are only designed for short use.

I believe Ice Cap battery backups will only work on DC Pumps.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 12-14-2018, 07:38 PM
Dash's Avatar
Dash Dash is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 201
Dash is on a distinguished road
Default

My husband used my tank as an excuse to buy this huge generator on sale last year at Home Depot. Dang was it ever loud when we fired it up! We got an PHEV car this spring and there is a built-in doodad for this very purpose. So we were able to sell the generator thank goodness
__________________
Maggie
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 12-17-2018, 11:15 PM
Synthesis Synthesis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Abbotsford -BC
Posts: 56
Synthesis is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyl View Post
Most APC / UPS back ups of that type will only run equipment for a few hours due to a low amp hour battery. The difference with the ecotech units etc is they are strictly a 12v DC draw from the battery, while your UPS is going DC > AC > DC (pump transformer > Pump, and there is an "overhead" for that process to take place.

If you want to emulate the ecotech example, it's extremely simple to DIY with a 12/24v deep cycle battery and a float charger. There are numerous examples on other forums, just google "diy ecotech battery backup". The only thing special about the Ecotech release is the mark up they're able to charge for a couple SLA batteries and a float charger.
Awesome thank you so much! I appreciate the video you sent me as well. Will look into doing the DYI! Do people also run these for their heaters to maintain temp?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 12-17-2018, 11:16 PM
Synthesis Synthesis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Abbotsford -BC
Posts: 56
Synthesis is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
My husband used my tank as an excuse to buy this huge generator on sale last year at Home Depot. Dang was it ever loud when we fired it up! We got an PHEV car this spring and there is a built-in doodad for this very purpose. So we were able to sell the generator thank goodness
A PHEV might blow the bank for this tank build....but thanks for the suggestion

Last edited by Synthesis; 12-17-2018 at 11:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 12-17-2018, 11:18 PM
Synthesis Synthesis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Abbotsford -BC
Posts: 56
Synthesis is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
The other great option is an inverter and an AGM Deep Cycle Marine Battery, or scooter battery. Scooter batteries are cheap and designed exactly for this kind of use.

Computer battery backups are only designed for short use.

I believe Ice Cap battery backups will only work on DC Pumps.
Thanks for all the suggestions. Certainly some things to look into keep me busy. Yeah I scraped the computer battery backup idea pretty quickly given what it's primary purpose was.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.