Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-05-2019, 09:00 PM
cvrle1 cvrle1 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 104
cvrle1 is on a distinguished road
Default Buying fish from US

I tried finding info, and think I understand the rules, bu wanted to check with everyone else. If I am to buy fish in US, ship to US border, and then pickup and transport across the border into Canada, what sort of paperwork do I need.

I know there is a list of susceptible species list, but none of the saltwater fish are on it that I would be interested in. As such i dont need any sort of importing permit. But questions still remains what paperwork do I need, or at least what info should I be prepared to show at the border.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-05-2019, 11:30 PM
Thanhk87 Thanhk87 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 8
Thanhk87 is on a distinguished road
Default

From what i understand, And correct me if im wrong.

You need import permit if its not on the susceptible list.
You dont need import permit if its on the list.

You also need CITES permit if its on the CITES list.
You dont need CITES if its not on the CITES list.


Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-05-2019, 11:56 PM
cvrle1 cvrle1 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 104
cvrle1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanhk87 View Post
From what i understand, And correct me if im wrong.

You need import permit if its not on the susceptible list.
You dont need import permit if its on the list.

You also need CITES permit if its on the CITES list.
You dont need CITES if its not on the CITES list.


Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk
You got it backwards:

Aquatic animals that are brought into Canada must be declared and in the case of aquatic animals on the susceptible species list, must have an import permit unless otherwise exempt.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-05-2019, 11:57 PM
Frogger's Avatar
Frogger Frogger is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 471
Frogger is on a distinguished road
Default

Unless things have drastically changed in the past 10 years fish are not a problem. When I used to cross with them I just showed up at the border and told them I have aquarium fish. I used to bring them back all the time.

I believe Bangai Cardinals on on the Cites List but not sure if anything else is.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-06-2019, 12:06 AM
cvrle1 cvrle1 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 104
cvrle1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogger View Post
Unless things have drastically changed in the past 10 years fish are not a problem. When I used to cross with them I just showed up at the border and told them I have aquarium fish. I used to bring them back all the time.

I believe Bangai Cardinals on on the Cites List but not sure if anything else is.
Great, thanks very much. Will ask border person next time I cross, just to see what they say info wise. Truth be told I would be surprised if I needed to jump through a lot of hoops for aquarium fish, but wanted to check just to be on the safe side.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-06-2019, 12:17 AM
Khiyasu Khiyasu is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 6
Khiyasu is on a distinguished road
Default

You
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-06-2019, 01:28 AM
WarDog's Avatar
WarDog WarDog is offline
Darth Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,937
WarDog will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khiyasu View Post
You
Who?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-06-2019, 03:07 AM
Dearth's Avatar
Dearth Dearth is offline
No Cookies
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Prince George
Posts: 1,200
Dearth is on a distinguished road
Default

Not to be a downer but

Personally I would just contact CBSA they will tell you what you can and canít bring back.

I donít take anything at face value at the border remember CBSA has wide discretionary powers and you as the traveller have very limited rights all it takes is one officer to ruin your day.
__________________
My aquarium is nothing but a smorgasbord for my cats.....
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-06-2019, 05:43 AM
cvrle1 cvrle1 is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Surrey, BC
Posts: 104
cvrle1 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearth View Post
Not to be a downer but

Personally I would just contact CBSA they will tell you what you can and can’t bring back.

I don’t take anything at face value at the border remember CBSA has wide discretionary powers and you as the traveller have very limited rights all it takes is one officer to ruin your day.
This is true as well, however I have been in opposite situation before too. Talked to CBSA, got info that I needed, only to have been told completely different thing by CBSA border officer. According to him, I was given wrong info over the phone by someone who didnt know what they are talking about.

I think there is always a chance for running into situation like this, and unfortunately I dont think there is a right way of going about it. Someone can always say that the other person gave you wrong info, and not much you can do about it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-06-2019, 08:23 PM
hillegom hillegom is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Surrey
Posts: 1,916
hillegom is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvrle1 View Post
This is true as well, however I have been in opposite situation before too. Talked to CBSA, got info that I needed, only to have been told completely different thing by CBSA border officer. According to him, I was given wrong info over the phone by someone who didnt know what they are talking about.

I think there is always a chance for running into situation like this, and unfortunately I dont think there is a right way of going about it. Someone can always say that the other person gave you wrong info, and not much you can do about it.
Well then, write CBSA a letter and they will write back the answer. Now you have it on paper and you bring that to the border with you.
That worked for me at the border, on another quite different topic.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.