Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Tank Journal

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 09-12-2019, 02:54 AM
DKoKoMan's Avatar
DKoKoMan DKoKoMan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,222
DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Wink

Not sure if the link will work? But a short video of the active fish in the reef.

https://imgur.com/a/xXYqt5K
__________________
300g Basement Reef - April 2018
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old 11-17-2019, 05:03 PM
DKoKoMan's Avatar
DKoKoMan DKoKoMan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,222
DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Question Algae or Cyano Bloom?

Update:

Iím not sure what is going on currently in my tank. I have been battling an algae or Cyano bloom that happened last month. The only thing that changed in the tank was my Neptune ATK crapping out and salinity rising to 1.026 from 1.025. Lost a couple of the more sensitive SPS pieces due to the salinity swing. The ATK would work, then stop, then work and eventually kicked the dust. I then manually topped up before and after my work shift (I believe this constant swing killed SPS).

I since got a brand new Tunze osmolator and salinity has been rock solid. I have continued my biweekly 10% WC. This stuff will be siphoned out and creep back over the next couple days. I think it may be Cyano, Tangís will sometimes pick at it but it seems more on the slimy side. It is covering most of the sand Bed and rocks. Recently it has been covering most my Zoas and SPS.

Anyone able to help me out on identifying this stuff!!?




__________________
300g Basement Reef - April 2018
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 11-21-2019, 08:13 PM
Dash's Avatar
Dash Dash is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 260
Dash is on a distinguished road
Default

Sorry to hear - losses are no fun.

I just had similar experience. I bought an ATO secondhand early this year but still havenít set it up I still top off by hand twice a day. When central heating kicked in recently, evaporation increased & a couple of SPS had some STN. My salinity was too high & the swing was a bit wide. It was just a blip though & they are recovering fast. Maybe my poor coral are used to my antiquated system? Lol

I had a bit of that green stuff in previous tank & thought it was due to high nutrients?
__________________
Maggie
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 11-21-2019, 08:42 PM
bauder1986's Avatar
bauder1986 bauder1986 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol
Posts: 436
bauder1986 is on a distinguished road
Default

Now that I think about it, it looks like bubble algae. If it is then prepare for battle. Use emerald or ruby crabs or rabbitfish or juvenile emeralds(one per handful of algae)

Now remove the algae manually also. And carefully. Before the bubbles burst and spread spores throughout the tank and make it harder to flush out.

Also for extremes, use a UV sterilizer as well. But if you do so prepare to dose your tank with Seed bacteria as well because UV sterilizers kill all bacteria and algae spores.

If you're running a refugium then double check to make sure that there's a copeopod population going on in there. They eat up lots of micro sized particles as well that could be causing a bacteria algae break out. If you don't have a copeopod population in the refuge then add some fuge mud or sand or LR rubble to the bottom of the refuge and stop flow to the refuge and add some copeopods to the system with some phytoplankton to feed them. Should be able to pick that up at your LFS.

Wash rinse and repeat. Try and keep the algae from smothering your coral. Also watch your PH like a hawk. These algaes love O2 and will devour whatever is in the tank for O2. Consider increasing your tanks dissolved O2 if the pH drops to much.

That's all I got for now. Good luck man
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 11-21-2019, 08:44 PM
bauder1986's Avatar
bauder1986 bauder1986 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edmonton, AB...find the earie glow of the T5 lights coming from a house lol
Posts: 436
bauder1986 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKoKoMan View Post
Not sure if the link will work? But a short video of the active fish in the reef.

https://imgur.com/a/xXYqt5K
Oh really nice btw!
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 01-03-2020, 10:15 AM
DKoKoMan's Avatar
DKoKoMan DKoKoMan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,222
DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
Sorry to hear - losses are no fun.

I just had similar experience. I bought an ATO secondhand early this year but still havenít set it up I still top off by hand twice a day. When central heating kicked in recently, evaporation increased & a couple of SPS had some STN. My salinity was too high & the swing was a bit wide. It was just a blip though & they are recovering fast. Maybe my poor coral are used to my antiquated system? Lol

I had a bit of that green stuff in previous tank & thought it was due to high nutrients?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauder1986 View Post
Now that I think about it, it looks like bubble algae. If it is then prepare for battle. Use emerald or ruby crabs or rabbitfish or juvenile emeralds(one per handful of algae)

Now remove the algae manually also. And carefully. Before the bubbles burst and spread spores throughout the tank and make it harder to flush out.

Also for extremes, use a UV sterilizer as well. But if you do so prepare to dose your tank with Seed bacteria as well because UV sterilizers kill all bacteria and algae spores.

If you're running a refugium then double check to make sure that there's a copeopod population going on in there. They eat up lots of micro sized particles as well that could be causing a bacteria algae break out. If you don't have a copeopod population in the refuge then add some fuge mud or sand or LR rubble to the bottom of the refuge and stop flow to the refuge and add some copeopods to the system with some phytoplankton to feed them. Should be able to pick that up at your LFS.

Wash rinse and repeat. Try and keep the algae from smothering your coral. Also watch your PH like a hawk. These algaes love O2 and will devour whatever is in the tank for O2. Consider increasing your tanks dissolved O2 if the pH drops to much.

That's all I got for now. Good luck man

Thanks for the replies guys! Poof! Like that this stuff was gone in a couple days. My guess is maybe a green Cyano that came and gone. Who knows, everything has perked up despite some losses of the SPS. Darn ATO fail pushed my buttons.
__________________
300g Basement Reef - April 2018
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 01-03-2020, 04:25 PM
Razor Ramon's Avatar
Razor Ramon Razor Ramon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Spruce Grove Ab.
Posts: 100
Razor Ramon is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi itís Cynao for sure , you have gotten it from something from another tank ,frag plug . Been a bacteria itís compeating with the good bacteria . Itís easy one to beat, manually remove as much as you can .Chang /add flow to areas use chemiclean as directed . Make sure you add air to the tank and let your skimmer overflow to make sure all equipment gets the dose of chemiclean. Remove carbon added airation its very important while the Medicean is in use.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 03-11-2020, 11:55 PM
saltynuts's Avatar
saltynuts saltynuts is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: stony plain
Posts: 791
saltynuts is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to saltynuts
Default

Great to see the tank getting better. Iíll have some frags in the next couple weeks I can bring you out
__________________
36x18x20 (50gal)
tek 6x39watt t5,s.
2x 6025 tunze.
euro-reef rs100.
no more school so i,ll be able to keep this one!
http://www.canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=61329
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 03-29-2020, 10:24 PM
Skimmer King's Avatar
Skimmer King Skimmer King is offline
acanthastrea freak
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Oromocto , New Brunswick
Posts: 5,633
Skimmer King is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Skimmer King Send a message via MSN to Skimmer King
Default

Nice tank brother looks great love the colors.
__________________
60 gallon corner in the build its been a while
Doesn't matter how much you have been reading until you take the plunge.
You don't know as much as you think.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 03-30-2020, 06:46 PM
DKoKoMan's Avatar
DKoKoMan DKoKoMan is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,222
DKoKoMan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimmer King View Post
Nice tank brother looks great love the colors.
Thanks! Much appreciated. Luckily my tank is bouncing back and in the process of sourcing out a couple test acros. If all goes well, I will work at filling it back up with sticks
__________________
300g Basement Reef - April 2018
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
build, reef tank, salt water aquarium, sps, tank build

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.