Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board  

Go Back   Canreef Aquatics Bulletin Board > General > Reef

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 01-20-2019, 08:05 PM
hillbillyreefer hillbillyreefer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central, AB
Posts: 466
hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road
Default

Glad everyone is OK. Sucks about the tank though.

I’d reuse everything you have. Clean all the equipment, keep cooking the rock until time permits a tank reboot. Wear gloves when working on the tank in the near future.

I wonder how persistent palytoxin is? Heading to google, I’ll post any answers I find.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-20-2019, 08:07 PM
Sasq40 Sasq40 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 127
Sasq40 is on a distinguished road
Default

Yeah I've been googling it and can't find much for answers, public health said destroy everything but it's not like they're experts in this field. They had never even heard of it I just read a few articles about it at one point.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-20-2019, 08:31 PM
WarDog's Avatar
WarDog WarDog is offline
Darth Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 2,969
WarDog will become famous soon enough
Default

Public health are just covering their ass.

Give all the hardware a good soak and cleaning in vinegar. Bathe the rocks in bleach, give them a good rinse and then start cooking them for the rebuild. In the meantime, monitor your families health, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to get an air quality test done inside your new house.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-20-2019, 08:35 PM
Sasq40 Sasq40 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 127
Sasq40 is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDog View Post
Public health are just covering their ass.



Give all the hardware a good soak and cleaning in vinegar. Bathe the rocks in bleach, give them a good rinse and then start cooking them for the rebuild. In the meantime, monitor your families health, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to get an air quality test done inside your new house.
Yeah I would assume as far as they're concerned the tank is a biohazard. Do I just rinse the rocks with a house and dump them in a bleach mixture then? Will this kill the toxin? What about freezing all the rocks then taking a pressure washer to it? As well as the bleach? What's the best way to clean the tank. Yesterday I filled it up and ran some vinegar in it then ran my pumps, drained the whole thing and added more water to hold back any smells

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-20-2019, 08:36 PM
msjboy msjboy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: burnaby
Posts: 248
msjboy is on a distinguished road
Default

here was the cbc.ca news on a family with similar plight:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...mily-1.4633810

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ison-1.4635311

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...anup-1.4640303
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-20-2019, 08:44 PM
Sasq40 Sasq40 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 127
Sasq40 is on a distinguished road
Default

Very different then what we were told by the hospital in Alberta. They just said air it out and remove the tank

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-20-2019, 08:49 PM
hillbillyreefer hillbillyreefer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Central, AB
Posts: 466
hillbillyreefer is on a distinguished road
Default

Here is what I’ve found on destroying the toxin, it’s not much

. It is heat-stable, not inactivated by boiling, and is stable in neutral aqueous solutions for prolonged periods, however a rapid decomposition occurs under acid or alkaline conditions, leading to loss of its toxicity [2].

From page 3 of this article https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...1/#!po=6.94444, I’ll grab the footnote info too.

Katikou P. Chemistry of Palytoxins and Ostreocins. In: Botana LM, editor. Phycotoxins, Chemistry and Biochemistry. Blackwell Publishing; Ames, IA, USA: 2007. pp. 75–93.

I’m guessing the shop vac sent it airborne and everyone was exposed. It appears that the alkalinity in our tanks helps keep the toxin in check. It’s actually scary stuff. I’ve read lots of documented cases where pouring boiling water on palys has created problems for everyone in the vicinity.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-20-2019, 08:51 PM
Sasq40 Sasq40 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Grande Prairie
Posts: 127
Sasq40 is on a distinguished road
Default Just got polytoxin posioning. Public health says toss everything g

Yeah I've read alot of those articles. The father inlaw has a big ozone generator, maybe just bladtoc that will help
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-21-2019, 08:40 PM
Madreefer's Avatar
Madreefer Madreefer is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Prince George
Posts: 2,060
Madreefer is on a distinguished road
Default

I too have suffered from palytoxin poison. Been put in hospital for a few days than had to use a puffer afterwards for 2 weeks. This was caused by trying to scrape off palys in the kitchen sink whilst running hot water on them. Than another time I was once again scraping them off a rock and got squirted in the eye which caused a chemical burn to my cornea.
Palys are extremely dangerous and the medical staff in my town had no clue what it was and I had to inform them both times of what I had.
But to tell you to throw everything out is ludacris. Whst your doin with vinegar for your equipment is fine.
It took my years to finally get the palys off my rocks.
Since your tank is pretty much toast I suggest you put the rocks in a well ventilated area or outside in a large container of water and throw in a gallon of muriatic acid and let it sit for a couple of weeks. It's only way i got rid of my palys. You can get muriatic acid at a hardware store. The big ones don't seem to carry it anymore. Just remember to have the water first. The fumes are pretty strong so be careful. Good luck. No plays!!! They're bad!!

Last edited by Madreefer; 01-21-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Grammar
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-21-2019, 09:11 PM
SeaHorse_Fanatic SeaHorse_Fanatic is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 4,880
SeaHorse_Fanatic will become famous soon enough
Default

Wow, that's some scary news. I didn't know heat doesn't do anything to it. Good to learn that acidic and alkaline baths will cause it to denature. Good luck buddy.

Anthony
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.